Being intimate with your partner doesn’t just mean that you are sexually intimate. Intimacy means that you are connecting on different levels. Being sexually intimate is only one way to connect with your significant other. Let’s talk about some of the other ways that you can connect. Why? Because improving your intimacy with your partner will improve your sex life, the romance in your partnership, and strengthen your relationship.
The things on this list don’t necessarily cost a lot of money. In fact the only thing that is mandatory on all of the items on this list is that you are together and thinking of each other.
- Listen to what the other person has to say. This is probably something that you both do already, right? Listening is an important part of any relationship. Why not try to do a little active listening exercise. It will help you practice good listening skills. In order to do this, have your partner talk about something and after each paragraph or sentence, repeat back what you’ve heard. This is a great way to know if you keep misinterpreting what your significant other is saying. You don’t have to repeat everything back, word for word, but you should be able to say everything in your own words. Make sure to take turns!
- Give your partner a cute pet name. It may not seem like something important but studies have shown that doing this is a sign of a strong relationship. Make sure that it is endearing to you, your partner, and your relationship. Don’t just say “sweetheart” if it doesn’t feel natural. Calling your partner by a different name might come more natural to you.
- Cook dinner together. Okay, it doesn’t have to be dinner. Cooking a meal together can be a great time for the both of you to be able to unwind and talk with each other about your day. It is a great time to have fun and be playful together. Being intimate doesn’t just mean romance, it can be about fun and quirky times together also. Just make sure that you are both connecting and having a good time.
- Dedicate a day to having sex. All right, intimacy also has to do with being physically connected as well. Sex is an important part of a relationship. After a while, the sex may start to dwindle and it’s important to nip that in the bud before it disappears even more. Turn your phone off. Don’t bother checking your emails that day. Stay in bed with your partner and cuddle. Rent a hotel or a motel room if you have to. Just make sure that you’re both connecting physically and that you’re both having a good time.
- Connect with your friends. Being intimate means that you’re taking your partner’s interests into consideration when you do things. This means that you need to know and be considerate when it comes to your significant other’s friends and family members. Invite his or her friends over for dinner. Even let them spend some time together after by cutting out early. Having some time apart can be just as important as spending time together. That way, when you come together again, you’ll have some great stories to share. Spending time with other people can also help you become well-rounded people.
- Do a random act of love for your partner. This could mean that you make a pot of coffee for him in the morning before he gets up for work. It could mean that you do the dishes for her when you know that she’s had a long day. You can buy your partner a favorite treat or make him or her a favorite treat for after dinner. Leave a love note on the table. It doesn’t have to be something big, elaborate, or expensive. It just has to show that you care. Try to do something at least once a day for your partner.
- Always give goodbye and hello kisses. It is something that we take for granted – goodbye and hello kisses. Even good morning and good night kisses. If these four types of kisses are missing in your relationship, you should start actively doing them. A kiss is one of the most intimate things that you can do with a person. It shows that you care and love your partner. It can be a form of comfort. It can be a form of sympathy. It is so versatile and says so much.
- You’re never too old to cut up. Remember what it was like when you both started dating one another? It wasn’t just about lust but there may have been a sense of mystery or adventure that went along with it too. Make sure that those feeling still exist in your relationship.
- Instill a monthly date night. For those couple who are married and/or have busy lives, make sure that you’re still having date nights. It does wonders for your relationships and your connection. Once you’ve placed a sense of importance in these date nights and you stick with them, you’ll see a change in how intimate you are with each other. In addition to that, your sexual desire should heighten as well.